Enroll your child in school
Elementary and Secondary Education:
- Avon Maitland District School Board
- Huron-Perth Catholic District School Board
- Huron Christian School
- The Virtual High School
Home schooling your children is another option in Huron. Home schooling is, simply put, the practice of teaching your own children at home. We suggest you visit these sites for detailed information and assorted resources:
- Ontario Federation of Teaching Parents
- Ontario Christian Home Educators’ Connection
- The Learning House
- Ontario Ministry of Education: Homeschooling Policy
- Home School Legal Defence Association
Child care options
If you are a newcomer to Huron County, you may not have the extended family or circle of friends to care for your young children when you go to work, go to classes, or are out looking for a job.
Huron County has several options for your child care needs. Children’s Services provides all children and their families with easy access to parent education, early learning activities and resources, and connections to other community agencies and programs, as well as child care options and subsidy for child care.
Child Care Centres provide care for children in a group setting; offering services for children aged six weeks right up to twelve years of age. The operating hours for centres vary, but most provide full-time or part-time care Monday to Friday during regular working hours. Some centres also offer before and or after-school care. Nursery Schools are also licensed programs under the Day Nurseries Act. Some are cooperative nursery schools, where parents are very involved in the planning and operation of the program.
- Bean Sprouts Nursery School, Zurich, Ontario, 519.482.5825
- Clinton Co-operative Childcare Centre, Clinton, Ontario, 519.482.5777
- Goderich Municipal Child Care Centre, Goderich, Ontario, 519.524.7441
- Huron County Community Home Child Care, Clinton, Ontario, 519.482.8505 | 1.888.371.5718
- North Huron Children’s Centre, Wingham, Ontario, 519.357.2424
- Relouw Early Childhood Learning Centre, Exeter, Ontario, 519.235.0710
- Seaforth Co-operative Children’s Centre, Seaforth, Ontario, 519.527.0682
- Tuckersmith Day Nursery, Vanastra, Ontario, 519.482.7634
- Walton’s Little School, Walton, Ontario, 519.887.8440
- West Huron Early Childhood Learning Centre, Zurich, Ontario, 519.236.7071
- YMCA’s Across Southwestern Ontario, Goderich, Ontario, Before & After School Care for St. Mary’s Catholic School, Hullett Central Public School and Exeter Public School 226.932.0813
Huron County Community Home Child Care is a licensed program provided in a family-like setting for infants, toddlers, pre-school and school-age children, up to 12 years of age. Children from the same family can be cared for together. Caregivers use their own homes to care for children, occasionally providing child care beyond the regular operating hours of community child care centres including evenings, weekends and overnight.
Fee Subsidy is available to families that qualify for assistance with the cost of child care. You may qualify to have the full or partial amount of your child care costs paid by the County of Huron. This can be arranged when child care is provided at a licensed centre or an approved home provider.
Click here for complete information about child care options in Huron County.
Ontario Early Years Programs
Ontario Early Years professionals offer a variety of free programs and services throughout Huron County. They provide early learning programs for children including songs, stories, games, crafts, plus opportunities for children to develop their social skills and Kindergarten readiness skills.
The programs are fun for children and teach parents new activities to do with their children at home; parents and caregivers have opportunities to ask questions about their child’s development. A resource library of books and videos on parenting skills, as well as children’s books are available for loan.
There are more than 40 Ontario Early Years programs offered throughout Huron County. Call 519.482.8505 or 1.888.371.5718 for more information or visit Huron County Early Years Programs.
- The Diversity and Inclusion Resource Guide: Children’s Services staff has developed and collected tools and materials to support children prenatal to age six and their families. Developed with the Huron Service Integration Committee, the Diversity and Inclusion Resource Guide gives service providers quick access to public and private sector organizations, agencies, associations and practitioners serving Huron County.
- The Ontario Ministry of Education–Child Care: As a parent, you want to be confident that your child is in a healthy, safe and happy environment. You also want a child care program that meets your child’s needs as he or she grows and learns. The best way to ensure this is to be informed about your child’s care.
Child and Youth programs and resources:
Huron County has a wide variety of interest groups, organizations, and recreation and leisure opportunities for children and youth. Whatever your child’s interests–arts, athletics, community service–there are many options close to home. Most programs or organizations can be found at Community Connection or listed on the business directory. As well, Goderich’s Community Organizations lists local community groups, organizations, service clubs, and sports groups.
- Youth SPARK is a Huron County Health Unit website designed by youth, for youth 14-24. You’ll find credible and interesting information related to health and youth lives. SPARK also features personal stories, local pictures, and volunteer opportunities within Huron County. SPARK, along with community partners, promotes local youth projects, campaigns and contests. Check out the “Youth Spark Event calendar” to find out what’s happening in the area.
We would also suggest you visit the local recreation centre nearest you to get complete information on available child and youth programs:
- Bayfield Arena
- Belgrave Community Centre
- Blyth & District Community Centre
- Brussels, Morris and Grey Community Centre
- Clinton Arena & Community Centre / Central Huron YMCA
- South Huron Recreation Centre
- Goderich-Huron YMCA
- Hensall and District Community Centre
- Howick Community Centre
- North Huron Wescast Community Complex
- Seaforth & District Community Centre
- Vanastra Recreation Centre
- Zurich Arena
- 4-H Ontario: 4-H is a grass roots organization of leaders building leaders. At 4-H, youth are encouraged to see beyond themselves and focus on how their actions affect personal relationships, their community, the environment and society as a whole.
- Air, Army and Sea Cadets: Cadets are motivated to improve their physical fitness, to work harder at their academic studies and to give back to their communities through volunteerism.
- Girl Guides of Canada: >With locations all over Perth and Huron Counties, Girl Guides (which include, Sparks, Brownies, Guides and Pathfinders) is a great way for girls of all ages to become a part of an exciting peer group where members learn, have fun and make new friends. Call the recruitment line to find the group nearest you.
- Scouts Canada: Call now to find out how you can get involved with Scouts and enjoy the adventures of making new friends and learning new skills.
- Big Brothers & Big Sisters of North Huron: child & youth serving organization providing mentoring programs across the country.
- Big Brothers & Big Sisters of South Huron: child & youth serving organization providing mentoring programs across the country.