In Huron County there is an extensive healthcare network consisting of hospitals, medical clinics, dental clinics, and assorted health professionals such as chiropractors, massage therapists, and acupuncturists. Five hospitals, a variety of out-patient services, visiting specialists, and close-to-home surgeries provide excellent care for residents.
A walk-in medical clinic centrally located in Exeter provides healthcare for people who do not have a family doctor; Huron’s local hospital emergency departments also provide the same service. You don’t need to make an appointment, but it’s a good idea to call before visiting.
The Huron County Health Unit promotes healthy lifestyles, strives to prevent diseases such as cancer and heart disease, and protects our communities from infectious illnesses and environmental hazards such as contaminated food and water.
Private health insurance
Life and Disability Insurance: Life insurance and disability insurance protect you against lost income if the insured person dies or becomes disabled. Life insurance is important if you have children or other dependents, so that they will have money to live on if you die. Disability insurance gives you money if you can’t work because you become disabled.
For more information on insurance visit:
Finding a doctor
Ontario 2-1-1 is another source of information about healthcare in Huron County. Ontario 2-1-1 is a free, confidential, province-wide telephone helpline that simplifies finding support and community services for Ontario residents.
- 211 offers multilingual service in 170 languages as well as TTY service at 1.888.435.6086.
- 211 helps people find basic needs, such as food, housing, and emergency financial assistance.
- 211 connects those in need with agencies who can help someone cope with health issues like cancer or assisting elderly citizens to stay in their own homes.
- 211 also supports staff and volunteers at agencies who are in need of information about community services for their clients.
- When you dial 2-1-1, you reach a real person, 24/7, who is highly trained to listen and help.
- Self serve access is online at www.211Ontario.ca
Hospitals and medical clinics
- Alexandra Marine & General Hospital (Goderich)
- Bluewater Area Family Health Team (Zurich and area)
- Clinton Family Health Team
- Clinton Public Hospital
- Grand Bend Area Community Health Centre
- Maitland Valley Family Health Team (Goderich & area)
- North Huron Family Health Team (Wingham and area)
- Seaforth Community Hospital
- Seaforth Community Medical Centre
- South Huron Hospital Association (Exeter)
- South Huron Medical Centre (Exeter)
- Wingham and District Hospital
Huron County dental clinics
Good oral health is an important part of your total healthcare, and good oral hygiene habits begin at an early age. Huron County is served by a number of dental care professionals and clinics.
- Huron County Health Unit: Dental Health for information about dental health for children and adults; Healthy Smiles Ontario; and Children in Need of Treatment program
- Business Directory for a list of dental care professionals
- Your Oral Health for general dental health information and a directory of dental care professionals
Huron County eye care clinics
A number of eye care professionals provide services to Huron County residents. Opticians fill prescriptions from optometrists or ophthalmologists (eye doctors), fitting patients with eyeglasses or contact lenses. Optometrists conduct eye exams and diagnose, treat, manage, and prevent diseases and disorders of the eye. Optometrists prescribe eyeglasses and contact lenses, low vision aids and vision therapy.
To find an eye care professional in Huron County, try one of the sites below:
Other specialized healthcare professionals
If you are searching for a physiotherapist, chiropractor, massage therapist, reflexologist, acupuncturist, or any other specialized healthcare professional, we suggest checking out these links: